Get lessons from a pro. Following on from point 8, you should make sure that you learn from an instructor, not just a friend, this will; give you better technique, reduce frustration, help you learn faster.
Top 10 windsurfing tips!
For those new to the sport, this is my top ten tips for windsurfing in general! This will help you progress, and have fun in the sport at the same time...
1. Always have the wind on your back. As a beginner I could never work out where the wind was coming from, but if you always keep the wind on your back then you will have no problems.
2. Look ahead! If you are looking ahead into the manoeuvre, then this will make it easy to complete.
3. Practice. Whatever the conditions (within reason) get out there, if it is very windy, just give it a go, even if its just for 2 minutes. If there isn't much wind, get out on the water and do some light wind freestyle. Mess around and have fun.
(Please keep in mind tides etc, don't go out in dangerous conditions)
5. Stretch yourself. Make sure that you are always pushing yourself to learn more. Whether that is by taking out a bigger sail or a smaller board, give it a go, try it and then go back to your normal kit. You will find your technique improving all the time.
6. Concentrate! Set sessions where you have a specific goal. For example just spend 40 minutes trying to learn waterstart. Concentrate on this manoeuvre, once you can do it two or three times, you will have achieved your goal, and you will be perfecting it in your normal windsurfing sessions.
7. Realistic goals! Set realistic goals for your windsurfing, don't beat yourself up if you don't achieve them. If you set yourself bite size goals then you will keep motivated and achieve the bigger goal!
8. Use the kit and your technique, not your strength! Whether it is the first part of the sailing position to learning to waterstart, learn and use good technique rather than brute strength. Often women learn quicker than men, because of this!
9. Get lessons from a pro. Following on from point 8, you should make sure that you learn from an instructor, not just a friend, this will; give you better technique, reduce frustration, help you learn faster. Like any building, you need good foundations to your windsurfing.
10. Windsurf with friends! I have always found my windsurfing has improved because I am with friends, you race together, learn new moves together, its a great social sport and you should take advantage of this!
There are no comments for this article.
You are not allowed to post comments. Please login.